The question that most parents, especially new parents, ask, is whether a Jeep Wrangler is safe for babies and families.
You might be surprised to discover that the Jeep Wrangler is a safe option for families, and babies can ride in the vehicle securely.
Safety Ratings Of The Jeep Wrangler
According to the insurance institute for highway safety a vehicle is rated for crashworthiness as poor, marginal, acceptable or the best rating is good. According to the latest crashworthiness testing the Jeep Wrangle is rated by IIHS as:
|Component Tested||Rating Received|
|Front Crash Prevention||Superior|
|Structure and safety cage||Good|
|Child Seat Anchors||Good|
Safety Ratings Covering Child Seat Anchors
|Anchor Position||Rating Received|
|Tether anchor||Good because they were easy to locate|
|Tether anchor||Good because no other hardware could be confused for the anchor|
|Lower anchor||Good because the force it takes to latch them is not too great|
|Lower anchor||Good because they are not placed too deeply in the seat|
|Lower Anchor||Good because it is easy to maneuver around these anchor positions|
When speaking of front crash prevention, a vehicle can receive a grade of basic, advanced, or superior. The Jeep Wrangler at all trim levels rates a superior in this crash worthiness category.
NHTSA also rates vehicles on safety and their rating methods are slightly different than the IIHS are. The NHTSA gives the Jeep Wrangler a 4-star overall rating in their front crash test.
Benefits of a Jeep Wrangler
One of the main reasons why people choose a Jeep Wrangler is because they like adventure and fun. The Wrangler is a safe vehicle that can provide fun for the entire family.
Some of the benefits of owning a Jeep Wrangler include:
- You have increased towing capacity so you can have a bigger travel trailer or boat for the entire family to enjoy
- There is exceptional ground clearance so road obstacles are less likely to cause any kind of problems.
- They are designed to drive over the most treacherous of terrains. You can travel in snow, on ice, over sand, and over wet pavement and be safe the entire time.
- The angle and height of the driver seat is optimized so the driver has the most visibility while driving.
Extra Safety Features
When you buy your Jeep Wrangler, you are going to have the option of including extra safety features and technology in your vehicle. That means a family person can make sure they are getting a vehicle that is safe for all members of their family to travel in.
Safety Features you are going to love:
- Blind-spot monitoring. You do not have to worry about switching lanes and another vehicle being in your blind spot. This reduces the possibility of accidents of this nature.
- Forward collision warning makes certain that you realize when a potential danger is in front of your vehicle
- Rear backup cameras prevent you from hitting other vehicles when you are backing up. It also prevents accidents where children are run over because the driver did not see them behind the vehicle.
- Automatic high-beam headlamps ensure that you have the optimum amount of visibility when driving in low-light situations like you often encounter on rural roads.
- Park assist helps you to navigate the vehicle into a parking spot without making any contact with the vehicle behind or in front of you. It helps you to maintain the exact distance from the curb and prevents you from driving around the block to avoid parallel parking.
Tips for Keeping Babies Safe in Vehicles
- Child car seats should always be in the back seat of the vehicle
- Make sure your car seat is age and weight appropriate for the child
- In vehicles with manual locks place the child seat far enough away from the car door that the child cannot reach the locking mechanism
- Lock the windows in place so the child cannot operate a power window
- Placing the car seat in the center of the back seat will keep the child from being in direct sunlight. You can also install window tint for this purpose.
Can An Infant Ride in A Jeep That Has The Top Off?
As long as the child is restrained in the proper child restraint seats then they can ride in a Jeep that is topless.
Can A Baby Seat Be Used in A Two-Door Jeep?
You will have ample room to place a car seat in the back of a two-door Jeep, but if you need to install more than one car seat you need a four-door vehicle.
Can Five People Ride in A Two-Door Jeep?
Two-door Jeep Wranglers are designed so that four people ride comfortably with two in the front and two in the back.
Keeping your children safe when you are in a vehicle is a priority. A Jeep Wrangler is designed to drive over rougher terrains and go where other vehicles have trouble going. They are also designed to protect the occupants and make excellent family vehicles.